Directions and transport
Help us to run a greener festival
We are committed to making Wychwood a greener festival so please think about the environment when choosing how to get to us. Fewer cars coming to the site means fewer carbon emissions. There are many public transport and environmentally friendly options for getting to the festival site.
Wychwood has teamed up with Grallo who provide coach travel direct to the festival and back:
- Awesome in bus experiences
- Unbeatable pricing (price match commitment)
National Express runs coaches to Cheltenham that arrive at the Royal Well BusStation. These services are available from most major cities, including Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff and London. http://www.nationalexpress.com
Cheltenham Spa is the nearest train station. Check out the national rail website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for times and prices or call 08457 48 49 50. There are direct services from London Paddington, Bristol, Birmingham, Swindon, Cardiff, Plymouth, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Buses run regularly from the town centre, the bus station and the railway station direct to the racecourse. Route D runs from the train station passing through the city centre at Clarence St which is within walking distance of the bus station. The bus leaves every 10 minutes during the day and between 10 minutes and every hour in the evenings from Monday to Saturday. The services run hourly on Sundays.
Cycling is a cheap and environmentally friendly way to get to us. There are 52 secure bicycle parks next to the Centaur and the Best mate enclosure entrances to the racecourse.
These are not unreasonably priced if you are carrying a lot of baggage and with some friends. Find a taxi service. A taxi from the centre of Cheltenham to the Racecourse should cost less than £10.
Situated at junctions 10, 11 and 11a of the M5, Cheltenham lies within the main motorway network in easy reach of London, Bristol and Birmingham. If traveling from the north on the M5 it is possible to leave from junction 9 and take the A435 south. The racecourse can also be reached from the East and West by the A40.
Please check with the AA Route Planner web site or set your sat-nav to the racecourse’s postcode: GL50 4SH. A map of the area can be viewed on the Cheltenham Racecourse website and the entrance to the racecourse is directly off the roundabout.
Pre-book a cab
Wychwood Festival has partnered with minicabit, the UK cab comparison service, which makes pre-booking a festival cab online really easy.
minicabit compares cab fleets across the country to find you the best price—no matter from where you are travelling!
Sharing a cab with friends often works out cheaper with up to 16-seater cabs available. Book your return journey too and avoid the end of festival crowds.
- Early bird special
- Get £5 off any prepaid trip over £20, please use promo code: WYCHWOOD
With the average 100 mile car journey leading to over 20 kg of CO2 being produced, sharing has the potential to reduce the festival’s carbon footprint considerably. We can have a real impact on our carbon footprint if we reduce the amount of car journeys.
If sharing a lift remember—safety first:
- Make sure you know the identity of the person or persons you are sharing with.
- Having the driver’s home telephone number (landline) is sensible precaution and make sure you leave details of the lift share, the driver and passenger’s number(s) and home address if possible with friends and/or family.
- Take your mobile phone with you.
- If you are at all uncomfortable with any arrangements, or the condition of the vehicle being used, then make other plans. If a vehicle is not taxed it is quite possible the driver has no driving licence, no insurance and the vehicle is in a poor condition.
- Safety first: Trust your instincts and use common sense.
You can arrange lift shares on our forum or via a number of websites, for example: