Ever stroll onto the Wychwood Festival site and think where do I begin?
Well that’s where we come in. We’ve put together a short, but exciting itinerary to get you and your kids buzzing all festival long!
- Enter the festival
- Use this time to settle into the festival, set your tent up, grab a bite to eat, figure out where everything is and chill before the Festival Fires up for a weekend of thrills, excitement and memory making!
- Giant Teepee
FAR OUT WORKSHOPS We will be making a huge tepee made from recycled flag fabric! Come and join in making it or just hide from your parents!
- Silly Sports – On the meadow
- Join in the fun with Family games that everyone can play, facilitated by actors and performers from Tiny Wild Fox.
- PUFFINS LOVE PIANOS – Hillside
- Join us on Puffin Island for a story and lively songs. Join in and make sound effects from the treasure box of instruments. Then you can make your very own puffin puppet to take with you for more musical adventures! Aimed at ages 3-10 (younger children and babies very welcome, be prepared to help make a puffin puppet!)
Now take your places and relax into an evening of dancing, singing and maybe a tipple here and there at Dave’s Stage
- Leah – Dave’s Stage
- Soulful Leah’s huge and powerful vocal is accompanied by a tight, funky 5-piece band. She recently released her debut which encompasses Soul/Jazz and R&B influences. Not to be missed!
- Thrill Collins – Dave’s Stage
- Rarely does a band become a festival institution, but Thrill Collins have certainly done that at Wychwood. We’re proud to call them our house band. This acoustic skiffle three-piece have a habit of rearranging some of the most epic pop songs of all time, with surprising results. The band have played over 500 European and US venue shows over the past few years and appeared at Glastonbury, Bestival, 2000 Trees and tons more festivals.
- T’Pau – Dave’s Stage
- Formed in 1986 around vocalist Carol Decker, the band’s first hit came with Heart and Soul which reached a top 5 chart position both here and in the US, followed by their number 1 album Bridge of Spies. Decker pursued a solo career during the 1990s but now together with original guitarist Ronnie Rogers and a new line-up, T’Pau are back full throttle.
- Scouting for Girls – Dave’s Stage
Indie trio Scouting for Girls originally met at school and cub scouts! Little did they know they’d have an album to celebrate ten years since the release of their first album which went straight to the top of the charts. This energetic band is phenomenal live, with huge stage presence – they have the crowd dancing and chanting along to their catchy hits; She’s So Lovely, It’s Not About You and I Wish I Was James Bond. Classic pop which stands the test of time and brings sheer, glorious enjoyment.
Or if you fancy a quieter evening between 3:00pm - 7:00pm head on down to The Story Box stage, where you’ll find the authors Gareth P Jones, David Lichfield, Catherine Barr and Gabriel Dylan. You can meet the fabulous illustrators and authors who will fire your imagination with tall tales, fun facts and magical stories and pictures.
- YOGA FOR ADULTS – CITY
- Greet the new day by sharing some Yoga. There is something very special about starting the day with a yoga practice, sharing with other festival goers. Safe yoga suitable for all ages and abilities. Please bring something to lie on (even if its only a towel!)
- YOGA FOR KIDS – HILLSIDE
- Come and join Tatty for a big adventure that combines storytelling with yoga movement and music! Ages 2 to 7 with parents/guardians but other ages welcome.
- AARDMAN CLASSICS – Dance Stage
All ages love these two Aardman animations featuring Wallace and Gromit and Shaun The Sheep.
- BASIL BRUSH – Dave’s Stage
- National treasure, Basil Brush first appeared on kids TV in 1963. For twelve years he had his own series on BBC The Basil Brush Show and he’s still going strong. 2017 and 2018 saw him hobnobbing with a whole range of stars, including Bradley Walsh and the Vixen when he starred on The Chase Celebrity Special. Enjoy Basil’s zany sense of fun, his groan-worthy jokes and his catchphrase
- AARDMAN MODEL MAKING – Mountainside
- AARDMAN Make a plasticine model of one of the characters from Wallace and Gromit with one of the model makers from Aardman animation. There are a number of sessions through the afternoon. Numbers are limited so please sign up. Please see details outside the venue.
- COOL-A-SHAKERS! – Forest
- Time to join in with the music by making a colourful shaker made from a reused yarn tube and lots of colourful tapes. After being filled with dry lentils and sealed you will then be able to join the band. Groovy!
- CHARLESTON – CITY
- Teaching the biggest dance craze in history. Yes the fun and fabulous Charleston. You may have seen these dances featured on the BBC TV programmes Strictly Dance Fever and Strictly Come Dancing. They teach to all types of music and play tunes that are sure to get your foot tapping. Comfy casual clothes and low heeled shoes are best.
- Artists and Makers
- This group of talented local artists will be showcasing work that they have been perfecting for many years. A number of the artists will be putting on demonstrations of their craft and there will be an eclectic range of one-of-a kind artwork on sale to grace your home. There are workshops (in some cases for a small fee) for you to join in with that will inspire and awaken your own artistic talents.
- ROBOTS AND RETRO GAMES – Forest
- Try your hand at controlling our robots. Can you beat your opponent(s) and pop their balloon before yours? Plus – Experience Retro Gaming on the Raspberry Pi!
- GRUPO LOKITO – Dave’s Stage
- London-based Grupo Lokito was formed in 2006 by Latin piano player Sara McGuinness and Congolese singer Jose Hendrix Ndelo. They play an exciting and original blend of Congolese and Cuban music, creating a modern day cocktail of two of the great world musics. Expect glorious melodious vocals, soaring guitars, rhythmic grooves and lilting keyboards together with bass, drums and congas.
- GENO WASHINGTON & THE RAM JAM BAND – Dave’s Stage
In 1966 Geno Washington and his famous Ram Jam Band had an album in the U.K. charts for 48 out of 52 weeks. Not only was Geno a legend on the 1960’s live circuit but he undoubtedly still enjoys cult status on the Soul, Blues, R&B and Northern Soul scenes today due to his unsurpassable reputation as a high-energy, inspiring live performer. Geno’s set is a recession busting, ‘kick ass’, up-tempo, house rockin’, good time R&B show! He’s also immortalised in the 1980’s Dexy’s Midnight Runners hit Geno!
- IBIBIO SOUND MACHINE – Dave’s Stage
- Ibibio refers to a native language of people living in the south of Nigeria, where lead singer Eno Williams grew up, though born in the UK. Ibibio Sound Machine reflect a whole raft of influences from West African electronic music and highlife to jazz, disco, electronic, funk and post-punk. The band’s second album ‘Uyai’ meaning ‘beauty’, had storytelling deep at the heart and focussed on power and the liberation of women. The latest album Doko Mien includes English lyrics as well as Ibibio.
- ABC – Dave’s Stage
On it’s release in May 1982 ABC’s debut album The Lexicon of Love smashed straight into the UK album charts at number one. Hit songs such as Poison Arrow, The Look Of Love and All Of My Heart kick-started the Eighties and the album remains a classic to this day. It may be thirty years since The Lexicon Of Love, but ABC today easily match the quality and energy of the 80’s and are acclaimed by audiences and by the press. NME have described lead singer Martin Fry as
the missing link between Bryan Ferry and Jarvis Cocker. Expect a fabulous night of music and entertainment.
Or, once again, if you’d prefer a more chilled out afternoon/evening, The Story Box is the place to be. On Saturday Andy Seed, Tracey Darnton, Gabriel Dylan, Philip Ardagh, Tracey Corderoy, Christopher Edge, Sibéal Pounder, Smriti Prasadam-Halls and Jo Cotterill will be around from 10:00am - 6:00pm to enchant your minds and take you on some wonderful adventures.
- Healing Gardens
- Head over to the Healing Gardens for some much deserved TLC. Whether you’re looking to relax or rejuvenate, unwind or invigorate, we’re certain you’ll find something just perfect for you.
- Nick Cope's Songbook
- Nick Cope’s charming family songs are legendary! He has a fanatical army of little and not-so–little fans from all over the world, if you haven’t heard his songs or seen his shows before come and find out what you’re missing. Nick is a professional singer/songwriter with over 20 years of experience in music, including international success as lead singer and songwriter with The Candyskins in the 90s.
- JUNK DRUMMING
- Learn how to play some great rhythms using junk instruments. Join in the workshops and afternoon parade and make some non messy music with recycled junk. Fun, funky and full of silly songs and rhythms to bring the festival tribe together. For all ages.
- OPEN MIC SESSIONS – Mountainside
- We run an open mic music session, offering all musically minded festival goers the opportunity to show off their skills at Wychwood. We’ll have guitars for you to borrow, so please feel free to come and entertain! Your chance to perform at Wychwood.
- Parade – DAVE’S STAGE / THE BIG TOP / HOBGOBLIN STAGE
- We always round off the weekend with a parade down to Dave’s Stage with lots of drumming, dancing, musicians and wearing/waving/carrying things that have been created over the weekend. Everyone is welcome to join in – the more the merrier. Please join us at 4:00pm ready to go at 4:30pm.
Finish of the weekend right with some music icons.
- THE BAGHDADDIES – DAVE’S STAGE
- You might never have heard world music like the cocktail of sound produced by this exhuberant band of performers. The Baghdaddies combine Balkan melodies, klezmer, ska, latin grooves and sizzling brass, played with anarchic energy and theatrical humour. They’re equally happy being wandering troubadours as they are when they take to a stage. Exhilarating, skilled, frenetic, amusing and totally unforgettable!
- TOYAH – DAVE’S STAGE
- Singer, TV presenter, actress, producer… is there any limit to what Toyah Willcox can do? She started out in Derek Jarman’s punk epic Jubilee in 1977 and also starred in Quadrophenia. Then she broke in to singing with her first album becoming a Top 40 hit, producing singles that captured the feeling of the eighties; It’s a Mystery and I want to be free. In 1982 she won the Best Female Singer at the Rock & Pop Awards. Over her 30 year career, Toyah has had 13 Top 40 singles and recorded 20 albums. Back by popular demand.
- THE STRANGLERS – DAVE’S STAGE
With 17 UK top 40 albums and more than 20 top 40 singles, the Stranglers are one of the only bands originating in the UK punk rock scene who are still playing live and recording today. From their beginnings in Guildford in the 70s, they became known for aggressive rock with influences from a range of genres, including punk. Gaining mainstream success in the early 80s with singles such as Golden Brown and the anthemic No More Heroes among other well-known hits. 2019 sees the band touring extensively in France and Germany and the UK.